Maryland Energy Tax Credits and Maryland Energy Rebates
Residential: Maryland Energy Tax Credits and Maryland Energy Rebates
- Geothermal Grants The Maryland Energy Administration (MEA) offers grants of up to $3,000 for residential geothermal heat pump systems.
- Sales Tax Exemption In 2008, Maryland implemented a zero sales tax regulation on Geothermal Devices. If you buy a Geothermal system, you will pay no Maryland sales tax.
Corporate & Commercial: Maryland Energy Tax Credits and Maryland Energy Rebates
- Geothermal Rebates The Maryland Energy Administration (MEA) offers rebates of up to $5,000 for non-residential geothermal heat pump systems. Grants are provided at a rate of $180 per ton of refrigeration capacity, equivalent to 12,000 BTUs.
County-by-County: Maryland Energy Tax Credits and Maryland Energy Rebates
- Anne Arundel County Allows homeowners to deduct up to $2,500 of the cost of a new geothermal heating and cooling system from their property taxes. The benefit is a one-time energy tax credit, and can be used on any geothermal heating or cooling system installed after January 1, 2009.
- Harford County Offers an energy tax credit for real property taxes imposed on residential or nonresidential buildings or other structures that use geothermal devices for heating, cooling, or generating electricity for on-site consumption. The energy tax credit amount is equal to one year of total real property taxes or $2,500, whichever is less.
Other Programs: Maryland Energy Tax Credits and Maryland Energy Rebates
BGE Residential Heating & Cooling programs are designed to improve the effectiveness and the operational efficiency of installed heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment in existing residential units.
Act now to receive the following benefits:
- Duct Sealing Energy Rebates: Rebates of $250 for duct sealing
- Equipment Energy Rebates: Rebates of $150–$500 on high-efficiency heating and cooling equipment, including Geothermal.
Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Efficiency Program
Delmarva Power & Pepco are offering up to $750 in rebates to help customers increase energy efficiency and reduce the cost of heating and cooling their homes. You have three great ways to save on HVAC equipment and services—the choice is yours!
- Get $100 rebate for a Performance Tune-up of your electric air source heat pump or central air conditioning system.
- Get $250 rebate for sealing your duct distribution system
- Get up to $500 when you upgrade to high-efficiency heating and cooling equipment.
Choose the rebate that's best for you—you'll get cash back now and enjoy continued energy savings in the future! You could be eligible for more than one rebate if, for example, you have multiple systems in your home.
How to Participate
Federal Energy Tax Credits and Energy Rebates
- Federal Energy Tax Credits for Residential Owners Geothermal heat pumps are eligible for 30% of the installed cost without a cap, as provided under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Tax Act of 2009 (ARRA). The incentive is available for taxpayers installing qualifying equipment at their primary residence or second home, but not for a rental property.
- Federal Energy Tax Credits for Commercial Owners Two options exist for the commercial incentive. An investment energy tax credit of 10% of the installed cost is available through 2016. The ARRA legislation also provides the option of taking a grant in lieu of the energy tax credit, worth 10% of the installed costs for equipment placed in service during 2009 and 2010.